Saturday, December 4, 2010

Really??

Nov. 8th- Laura goes back to work and Jedidiah decides he hates to eat from a bottle.
This is the result!!

I am writing this post, not because I want to complain...but I want to be able to look back and laugh at myself for what I thought was a big deal at the time and to remember the Lords kindness through it. Let me start back...way back when Jed was 6 weeks old. 
After we brought Jedidiah home from the hospital, he would cry every night, around 9:00. And by cry I mean arching back, red in the face,inconsolable mess. I thought "this is just what newborns do." I had read about colic and it stated that babies would cry for 3 hour stretches, more than 3 nights a week for more than three weeks. He never cried that long. He would just cry like that for 45 minutes to an hour and then pass out for the night. I just thought it was his regular fussy time, like most babies have. Well, when he was 6 weeks old he started refusing his pacifier and would scream every time we tried to feed him. He also had 2 swollen lymph nodes between his ear. Me being the nurse that I am, diagnosed  him with an ear infection and called my pediatrician. They told me it sounded more like thrush but to bring him in. 
Well, I was wrong about the ear infection and they were wrong about the thrush, but what we did find out was that my sweet baby has acid reflux. Baby heartburn. While we were in the office Jed got hiccups. Like he got ALL the time in the womb and almost everyday outside of it. The doc happened to come in while he was fussing through the hiccups. Totally God's sovreignty. He asked us if this was a normal occurrence and we said yes. We also told him about his fussy time, that he was gassy, grunty and refused to be laid on his back. Apparently the combination means...acid reflux. The Dr. put Jed on Zantac twice a day. (p.s. the stuff smells and taste like Listerine and is compounded with alcohol) Good for baby right??
I was like, are you sure it's not an ear infection? Are you sure we have to give him medicine? We decided to give it two weeks and see if it worked. AND within a week...no more fussy time! I mean I don't think he's really even gotten into a wail since then (except for the shots). Best. Baby. Ever. Guess docs do know what their talking about sometimes...
So things were calm for about 2 weeks. Then the weekend before I went back to work, he decided he didn't want to eat anymore. He would scream everytime we tried to feed him. AGAIN. So where did I go...The Internet. (note to self-DO NOT read the internet for baby advice.) They said sometimes a bottle strike is because the baby doesn't like the type. Well as you can see above we have an arsenal of bottles now. Did any of them work? NO. So if anyone needs any bottle for your newborn, we''ll hook you up! After about a week I was at my wits end. I called the ped. You know what they said?...space out his feedings to every 4 hours. Basically..."new mom, feed him when he's hungry and stop trying to force him to eat." GENIUS. Why didn't I think of that?? So now if he only eats 2oz that's OK, he's not going to starve. I mean look at these cheeks!!

All that so say.. Jedidiah is a great baby. He's had few issues, but so minor compared to most. I am so thankful that the Lord has given him to me and I just wish I would worry so much about the small things. Lord, help me to enjoy this precious gift you have given me and be a good steward over him. This has been the verse I have leaned on during these "trying" times.
[5] If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. [6] But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. [7] For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; [8] he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. 
(James 1:5-8 ESV)

God has all wisdom. Ask Him and He is faithful to answer. He has already given us everything we need for life (all parts of life even bottles and babies) and godliness in Christ Jesus.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

i know you posted this months ago.. but i remember reading it.... im pretty sure olivia has reflux too and it made me feel better to know that i am not alone in not knowing what to do or what is going on....the ped nurse told me to try mylanta.. which i just started... our 1st office visit is tues so we shall see..... i may keep reading this post over and over for encouragement:)

Post a Comment